Aliasing a Novell drive w/NCSA httpd under OSF/1 v3.2?

From: Gordy Thompson <gordy_at_nytimes.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 18:52:22 -0400

        We run our primary internal webserver (web.nytimes.com) on an Alpha
3000/600 (OSF/1 v3.2, Rev. 214), and a second, experimental webserver on a
Novell drive.

        The big advantage for the Novell server is that the web-page content
providers can use conventional PC and Mac-based html editing applications
and save them directly onto the Novell drive. (This is a =lot= easier than
having them ftp their files onto the Alpha and get the file permissions
straight.)

        Now, rather than have to teach our users to use two different
webserver names, we want to make the html files on the Novell drive
accessible using URLs constructed from the name of the primary webserver.

        Is there a way to either (a) mount the Novell drive onto the Alpha,
so its html files would be included in the NCSA DocumentRoot, or (b) somehow
"alias" the Novell httpd server from the Alpha's NCSA_httpd configuration,
so that a URL like "http://web.nytimes.com/SomeDirectory/index.html" would
redirect the client to retrieve the file from the other server?

Gordon T. Thompson gordy_at_nytimes.com
Manager, Internet Services 212 556 1386
The New York Times fax: 212 556 1636
  The Times and I have an arrangement: Neither of us speaks for the other.