Help your newest colleague - you can!

From: Dimitris Vayenas <dimitrisv_at_iee.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 18:02:52 +0300

I just started with a new AlphaServer Internet version and the first thing
I tried to do was to set up the faboulus program by M. Moquit.

Well here is a list of difficulties I came accros and I wonder if somebody
else has shared (and solved ) these in the past.

1. In the makefile I had to set the option Olimit to ahigh value since the
default of my comp was 500

2. while compiling the main.c the parameter _O_RDWR was not recognised
whereis in the line just above there was no problem with the same parameter
! (what is it anyway?). But since it was placed on a subroutine relevant to
Win32 installation I made this "if.. then" a comment

3. So the main.c compiled ok

4. Went to compile parse.c and here the problem concerns the library
string.h and the more specific concern has to do with the functions
"strncpy" and "strcpy".
The parse.c program uses these two function in the format
(strcpy (x.x) and strncpy (x,x,x) and my Compiler (in a DEC AlphaServer)
gives me the error that are redeclared and "Incompatible function return
type for this function".

I go to the string.h to find out that in the section where the error occurs
these functions are declared as fn(x), but down bellosw there are modes
where can be declared as fn(x,x) and fn(x,x,x).

The question is how can I change mode? one is _NO_PROTO and the other
_STDC_.

When I use, lets say

cc -D_NO_PROTO nothing happens

Please help