adding disks to sw230 raid array

From: Brian James O'Connor <boc_at_ironbark.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 16:33:01 +1000 (EST)

Reply To: b.oconnor_at_bendigo.latrobe.edu.au

Hello Managers,
                We have a sw230 RAID array with 5xrz28 for
8GB raid capacity on an Alphaserver 2100 4/200 . We are using
the internal sw array for the raid. all 5 disks are configured
as 1 disk group. The raid array is our only file system, other
than a swap disk; ie its has /root as well as /usr mounted on it.

We wish to add 2 more disks to take us up to our 12GB Maximum
(with rz28's). I am fairly sure that to do this I need to;

1:) back the system up
2:) back it up again
3:) check the back ups
4:) if paranoid back up with another tool ( tar instead of dump)
5:) check the paraniod backup
6:) take the system down
7:) add the disks
8:) boot arc
9:) run the raid config utility from floppy
10:) rebuild the new raid array
11:) boot from the CDROM
12:) make a new file system
13:) restore from tape

My boss seems to to think that I should be able to just
add the disks without having to reconfigure the raid array, and
destroy the information currently on the system. I can't see
how this can happen.

Am I wrong ?

TIA
boc