max-proc-per-user

From: Erik Green <longshot_at_IC.mankato.mn.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 17:02:38 -0500 (CDT)

   Greetings, everyone;

   I am managing an Alpha AXPPCI-33 running Digital Unix v3.2D, which is
running Netscape's commerce server. We're (I work for an ISP) moving our
central web site to the Alpha, and in the process creating a number of
Virtual hosts, using the ifconfig tu0 alias xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx command.

   The problem I'm having is this: Since I have to run one copy of the
server for each IP, I have 65 processes running right now under the
ID nobody, which for security reasons is what the server uses for its
userid. At this limit, it refuses to fork any more processes, claiming
they would block. Figuring this is because of a per-user process limit,
I adjusted the max-proc-per-user from 64 to 512 using the sysconfigdb
command. This seemed to work, but max-procs only increased to 267 on
the system. Is this parameter related to another that I have to raise?

  Any information/comments would be appreciated,

Erik

Erik Green
Technician,
Internet Connections