Getting NetWorker to work

From: Colin Brooks <cbrooks_at_nature.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 09:32:12 -0700

Hello Alpha Managers...

Please forgive me if this is an ignorant question. I tried reading the
Networker manual (!) and checking the archives for answers to this question,
but could not solve my problem.

I recently tried to use NetWorker for the first time. After typing
"networker" or "nwadmin" at the command prompt (as root), I was getting the
message "nsrhost not found in host file; trying hopland instead". hopland
is the name of our (only) DEC Alphastation, a 250 4/266 running DU 3.2c. I
tried "nwadmin -s hopland", and also added nsrhost as an alias in the
/etc/hosts file for hopland. While I no longer got the "nsrhost not
found..." message, when I get into NetWorker, it tells me "*** Server Not
Available ***" in the Server line.

So... I tried to use the "Change Server" button. While "hopland" appears as
the the only choice, when I click on "hopland" and then the "OK" button, the
message "Server 'hopland': server not available".

So...

1) What I'm guessing here is that there is some setting up that I need to do
before I can use NetWorker. I can't figure out what that is.

2) Another possibility is that I have no idea what I'm doing, and I just
don't know how to use NetWorker properly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I wonder if I can call Digital for
help with this?

Colin

* Colin Brooks *
* GIS Program Analyst *
* Integrated Hardwood Range Management Program *
* Hopland Research & Extension Center *
* 4070 University Rd. *
* Hopland, CA 95449 *
* TEL:(707)744-1270 FAX:(707)744-1040 PRIMARY #'s *
* Work E-mail: cbrooks_at_nature.berkeley.edu *
* Home E-mail: cbrooks_at_pacific.net *
* I'm also found at: *
* ESPM, University of California - Berkeley *
* 160 Mulford Hall *
* Berkeley, CA 94720-3114 *
* TEL: 510-643-1136 FAX: 510-643-5438 *