file locking and file sharing....

From: Christophe Colle <colle_at_krtkg1.rug.ac.be>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 21:22:51 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I'm trying to port a small program which I wrote on a IBM running AIX.
Under AIX there is a possibility to specify O_NSHARE and O_DELAY when
opening a file with the open system call. If you specify both flags, the
process will hang until no other process has the specified file open. Is
there a possibility to perform the same action under digital unix (3.2c)?
I need this because there is a medical device which uses a file to check
for concurrent processes accessing one database.
So I want a way to be sure that 2 processes won't open the same file at
the same time...

Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Christophe Colle