SUMMARY: Digital X.500

From: Sawyer Curt <Sawyer_Curt_at_bah.com>
Date: 30 Aug 1996 09:01:57 U

> I am running Digial UNIX 3.2c, Digital X.500
> Directory Service 3.0, DECnetOSI RFC1006
> (OSI over TCP/IP) 3.2, InfoBroker Server 2.1,
> and InfoBroker Client 1.0A. The local DUA
> (dxim) can bind to the X.500 directory with no
> problem. The Infobroker client returns an error
> message telling me the X.500 server is unavailable.

> I am also having problems connecting to a Subordinate
> Reference DSA (different product and platform, but
> they should both be talking DAP, right?).

   My thanks to
        Richard Rogers <ittrmr_at_staffs.ac.uk>
        Todd Acheson <acheson_at_oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
who responded.

   I am still working with Digital to resolve the problem with the Infobroker
client, however the Digital DSA <--> Non-Digital DSA communication issue has
been solved. The problem is, some DSAs (Digital) want as part of their
presentation address the PSelector, SSelector, and TSelector values for the
Presentation, Session, and Transport layers of the OSI stack. This type of
presentation address looks like this:
'"DSA"/"DSA"/"DSA"/RFC1006+system.domain.com+<port #>,RFC1006' Other DSAs
(non-Digital) do not want and _will not work_ with the selector values in the
address. These DSAs must have their presentation addresses defined as
'RFC1006+system.domain.com+<port #>,RFC1006'. These subordinate and superior
reference DSAs are defined using the "ncl" utility.
   Now this solution may appear nice and simple, but heterogeneous
connectivity is not documented well, the <port #> part is not documented at
all (both my DSAs run on different ports), and the presentation address
without the selector values will generate an "invalid presentation address"
error when trying to connect manually using dxim. (On the side of the
non-Digital DSA, how to enter a presentation address _WITH_ the selector
values is not documented at all.)
   I don't know how many people on this list understand X.500 technology and
are using it to connect DSAs from different vendors, but this type of
information would have saved me a few days of poking around and a few days of
waiting on Digital technical support.
---Curt