Summary - DECserver 300's and DEC UNIX

From: Joseph Brancone <brancone_at_email.njin.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 15:47:36 -0400 (EDT)

Below is a summary of responses I received regarding DECserver 300's being
able to be used with a DEC Alpha running DEC UNIX. Thanks to all who responded
and sorry it has taken so long to send the summary.

Although I don't work on Digital UNIX LAT anymore, when I did, we performed
interoperability testing on terminal servers as old as the DECserver 100.
We also tested with 200's and 300's. Just make sure you have the latest
software image for the 300. (sorry, I don't know what that is)

Of course, I have no idea what your set-up is, so I cannot say definitively
whether what you are doing will work umodified when you transition from
ULTRIX to Digital UNIX; but there should be no issues with regard to general
interoperability between Digital UNIX LAT and the DECserver 300.

Regards,
Scott

Scott W. Ruch Digital UNIX Engineering
Digital Equipment Corp. System Management Group
200 US Rt. 9 North swr_at_unx.dec.com
Manalapan, NJ 07726-9455 (908) 577-6082

I have posted some time ago some directions on how to use DEC Servers 200
with DUnix. I am attaching the message to this one hoping it may be useful
also to DEC Servers 300.

        Oyanarte Portilho
        Dept. of Physics
        U. of Brasilia, Brazil

(See following):

I had made a question to the list regarding how to transfer the DecServer
200MC boot from a VAX/Ultrix machine to a Alpha/DECUnix box and got no
reply. Fortunately local Digital service gave the necessary steps
which I summarize below - they may be useful information for somebody
else who faces the same problem.

First of all, you must have DECNet or at least a part of it (MOP)
running in the Alpha. Check with

        setld -i | more

and see if a lot of packages starting with DNA* are installed (mainly
DNAMOP300).

Copy from VAX the executable pr0801eng.sys (Server boot software)
to /usr/lib/dnet in the Alpha box.

Then run

        /usr/sbin/mopsetup

choosing options 1 (configure mop), 2 (startup) and x (exit).
And that's all! Alpha is ready to boot the Servers upon their request
to the local area network. In order to be sure servers are being
booted from Alpha check with

        local> sh server status

the name or ethernet address from where boot was made. It should
have the name or ethernet address of tha Alpha box (if you are not
sure about your Alpha address just write it down during the mopsetup
step - it is shown on the console together with some messages -
"Node ID is xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx (from xxx)" ).

Hi Joseph
        Sorry but my english is not good, I hope you can understand me.
        I usually works with DECserver 100, 200 y 300. All of them works
similar.
        First, you must install
         DECnet/OSI base
         DECnet/OSI Datalink Components
                 DECnet/OSI MOP Utilities
                 DECnet/OSI Network Management
                 DECnet/OSI Miscellaneous Software

        Then, create a directory "/usr/lib/mop" and copy from your ultrix the
boot image file "sh1601eng.sys".(100 --> ps0801eng.sys and for 200 -->
pr0801eng.sys)

        Last step is:
        run "mopsetup"
                start mop
                create a circuit
                create clients. One for each decserver.
        You fill only , client name, ethernet address, image file and circuit
(circuit-1)

        you can use ccr "client name"

        That is all

bye
Walter Alpuin
walpuin_at_mulita.coasin.com.uy
waltera_at_bufalo.coasin.com.uy

alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com

        The DECserver uses LAT to communicate with hosts. All
        versions of Digital UNIX support LAT. You could probably
        still use one of the old PDP-11 Pluto systems if you could
        find one.

        If the DECserver 300 needs a host to download firmware,
        that is separate problem. It probably uses MOP for that
        and MOP is part of the DECnet/OSI kit. I don't know
        if a license is required. If you're not getting rid of
        the 240, you could continue to use it for loads.

        We have two DECserver 300s connected via thinwire, and then via
LAT to various la70, la424, and laser printers. If you have the DECservers
configured, there shouldn't be any problems. They still boot via MOP
from an ultrix box, but that is only because nobody has bothered to change
the configuration. Our alpha machines talk to them without trouble.

Eli Burke
eburke_at_vt.edu
http://csugrad.cs.vt.edu/~eburke/

your dec rep is telling a slight porky, i think. sure you can
use the decserver 300 to connect to your alphas, but as I understand it,
MOP downloads of the server software are not straightforward.
so unless you retain a boot host of eg vms or ultrix type, you have
some work to do.

we use a hacked mop kit (on du3.2) - you might quiz your rep a bit about
mop support, because as i understand it this was not supplied as standard.

cheers

Andy Adamson, Starlink Manager
Centre for Astrophysics, University of Central Lancashire, Preston PR1 2HE
star_at_uclan.ac.uk Tel (UK) 01772 893564 Fax (UK) 01772 892903

beazley_at_ix.netcom.com

Joseph,

    Yes. Both LAT and TCP/IP.

I'm not familiarized with the DECserver 300 family. We have the
DECserver 200 which I assume are older the the 300 and which
were used with our old Ultrix VAX. Now we no longer have
the VAX but continue using the DECserver 200 which receive
their load from the one of the alpha (I think the AXP 3000/600)
but could have been from any of the others. We did have to
transfer the old information file from the VAX.

Hope that helps.

   J. Felippe Beaklini felippe_at_fis.unb.br
   Dep. de Fisica - Instituto de Ciencias Exatas, Univ. de Brasilia
   71910-900 Brasilia, DF - Brazil 55-61-348-2868

I am running decserver(s) 200, 550, 90l+, etc and all work as long as you
start up LAT on the alpha. I have a 300 which I occasionally use for
special setups, training etc. The key is to run LAT as I don't believe the
300 supports Telnet.

Fred Lance
System / Network Manager
NH Technical College System
f_lance_at_tec.nh.us

Sure, you can use them. You just need to find out how they are to boot. (If
they are equipped with flash ram, no problems I suspect.) I was using
DECserver 200's, 300's, 700's, and 90TL's with our AXP till I moved it to
another network.

Del Merritt, <a href=http://www.intranet.com/~del >**</a> del_at_IntraNet.com
IntraNet, Inc., One Gateway Center #700, Newton, MA 02158
Voice: 617-527-7020; FAX: 617-527-1761 Just say no to Clipper.
    You may not add me to a commercial mailing list or send me commercial
                       advertising without my consent.
           (but if you want to buy my house, email me for details)