SUMMARY: Getting Networker to Work

From: Colin Brooks <cbrooks_at_nature.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 13:51:44 -0700

Here is a summary of my request for help with the Networker (Single Server,
that came with our Alphastation 250 4/266). A special thanks goes to Bob
Fedick <BOB.FEDICK_at_smed.com> for providing extra hints & tips.

The bottom line is that I was not able to get Networker to work. I had
wanted to use it back up our Alphastation instead of using the dump command.
Networker could not connect to the server (hopland, the name of the
Alphastation). I still suspect that there is some setup of Networker that I
need to do that I'm missing. Starting the nsrd daemon & modifying the
/etc/hosts file seemed promising, but did not completely solve my problems.

Here are the messages received:
--------
FROM: BOB.FEDICK_at_smed.com
>Well, I'm trying to back up the system that the software is sitting on. The
>8mm tape drive is sitting in a Storageworks pizza box attached via SCSI
>cable. Do I have the wrong idea here?

Sounds like it should work.

I am not using the NSR Single server but. Do you have to/have you run the
nsr_ize install utility. I seem to remember that even if you have a single
server version you must install the client software on the server.

Your hosts file sounds ok, does it have

127.0.0.1 localhost nsrhost servername

in it? Localhost and nsrhost are spelled that way but servername should be
whatever your server is named. If you are using full domain names you should
have servername.berkely.edu or something to that effect.

I am sorry about spilling random ideas on the page but I hope that one of them
gets you on the right track.

Are all of your NSR daemons running? Again, I am running the Network version
of NSR but these are the Daemons I see related to it;

/usr/bin/nsrd
/usr/bin/nsrexecd
nsrindexd

Good luck.
--------
FROM: BOB.FEDICK_at_smed.com (First message)

Three bits of information for you.

Are you using the Networker single server version supplied with DEC Unix. If
so you won't be able to back up any external clients.

If you are using NSR with multiple client capability, did you setup the backup
server with a client? (Networker Admin on the server doing the backing up,
Clients Menu, Client Setup, Create)

There is a Networker list. Here is some info for the list and where you can
find the archives. I don't see too much from DEC users but DEC just resells
the NSR from Legato anyway.

To "subscribe", send the words "subscribe networker" in a message
to "majordomo_at_iphase.com". For more info, send the word "help" to the same
address. ALL such commands MUST be in the message BODY !!! Thanks!

I hope this helps. If you have any more info you can provide about the server
you are backing up and the server you are backing up to, I may be able to help
you more.

Bob Fedick
System Manger
Shared Medical System
Bob.Fedick_at_SMED.com
-----------------

FROM: linda.perkal_at_iv10.bka.bka.ada.at
You should read the nsr-man-pages. There should be an installation
program called nsr_ize somewhere. If you don't have any man pages
and nobody else gives you a hint on where to find them (I'm sure
there is some web page or some ftp server whith all you need), than
I can always send them to you.

Regards, Linda
----------------

FROM: Dan Johnson <dan_at_datacrest.com>
you have to run daemons that act servers for networker. once you install
the software, it tells you to run a script to set up the daemons.

-----------------

FROM: "Dave Golden" <golden_at_falcon.invincible.com>
 I have seen this happen when there is no entry in the hostfile
for the local system at boot time. Make sure you have a "localhost"
entry and an entry for your actual host name. Then you can either
reboot or kill off the nsr daemons and restart nsr (/sbin/init.d/nsrd start)
so that the networker server comes up all the way with the right host name.
In nwadmin you will have to go to the "client" menu and delete all the
clients in the list except the local host name. Then the nsr functions
will be enabled.

If all else fails, you could always delete and reinstall the NSR single
server subsets from the CDROM.

Good luck,
Dave

----------------

FROM: Richard_WOOD_at_paribas.com
Make sure you've installed all the right bits first, ie.

     # setld -i | grep BRX

     BRXSOAKIT320 installed NetWorker Server for Digital UNIX

     It may need configuring if you haven't done that already :-

     # setld -c BRXSOAKIT320 install

     Then you need to start the nsr daemon :-

     # /sbin/init.d/nsrd start

     NetWorker should be able to see the server now.

     Regards

     Richard Wood (Banque Paribas)

------------

FROM: Esther Filderman <moose+_at_CMU.EDU>

Sounds like the nsr daemon isn't running. Try going into /sbin/init.d
and doing "./nsrd start".

Oh, and make sure your PAKs are valid!

Good luck,

e.

---------------

FROM: "Tom Lewellen" <tom_lewellen_at_oscar.rad.washington.edu>

It sounds like the networker deamon is not running.

On our system, networker lives in /usr/opt/BRX301

Find that (or whatever directory it is in on your system) and start up the nsrd
daemon in the background

----------

Sincerely,
Colin Brooks

* Colin Brooks *
* GIS Program Analyst *
* Integrated Hardwood Range Management Program *
* Hopland Research & Extension Center *
* 4070 University Rd. *
* Hopland, CA 95449 *
* TEL:(707)744-1270 FAX:(707)744-1040 PRIMARY #'s *
* Work E-mail: cbrooks_at_nature.berkeley.edu *
* Home E-mail: cbrooks_at_pacific.net *
* I'm also found at: *
* ESPM, University of California - Berkeley *
* 160 Mulford Hall *
* Berkeley, CA 94720-3114 *
* TEL: 510-643-1136 FAX: 510-643-5438 *