Questions on DU versions

From: Eugene Chu <chu_at_musp0.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 14:06:35 -0700

Hi Folks,

I have a couple of questions on compatibility of O/S versions and drivers.

Suppose I'm running a 3000/500AXP system under OSF/1 v3.2, and I'd like
to move to 3.2C to get some of the bug fixes (I don't remember all the
ones that apply to mine right now). I'm currently running a 3rd party
device driver (Bit-3 TurboChannel to VME bus converter). Are there major
differences between v3.2 and v3.2C down in the kernel level that could
cause this driver to not work under v3.2C?

Also, I'm thinking of upgrading another system from 3.2c to 4.0. I've
got the CDs for the O/S and firmware, but I'm still trying to locate the
CDs for the layered products. Could I install the old versions of the
the LP that I have now (FORTRAN, DXML, C++, DCE)? I've a feeling I may
have to re-order the CDs, which could take months.

thanks in advance.
eyc