Early SUMMARY: Questions on DU versions

From: Eugene Chu <chu_at_musp0.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 09:09:14 -0700

Thanks to alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com and fergal_at_ilo.dec.com for their quick

The answer to the first question of whether a driver written for 3.2
will work under 3.2c (or anything higher, but before 4.0 as they are
fixes and extended H/W support based on the same O/S) is: it depends on
how the driver was written. Version 3.2c and above has some differences
from 3.2 at the kernel level. We will just have to try and see. Version
4.0 will most likely require a completely new driver, as it is very
different.

For the second question about layered products from 3.2C installed onto
a 4.0 system, again, it depends on the products. For my products, the
FORTRAN, DXML, and C++ will probably work, but DCE will definitely not,
as it is initimately tied to kernel components.

eugene