From: Peter Gross <pag_at_probita.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 12:42:26 -0700

It turns out that the version of firmware on our JetDirect cards is
too old to support lpd. Alan Sherlock <ajs_at_talon.csc.cxo.dec.com> hit
the nail on the head with his answer:

    It sounds like the jetdirect you've got doesn't support lpd. The
    older versions didn't. Try a telnet to port 515 on the jetdirect.
     If you get connection refused, that's the problem. The other
    systems that are printing to the card are most likely printing to
    port 9100.

    If this is the case, call your local CSC for options on how to get
    this to work.

Additional thanks to:
Brian Leverson <brian_at_aa.washington.edu>
joe_at_resptk.bhp.com.au
Catherine Xiaolan Zhang <cxzhang_at_eecs.harvard.edu>
Matt White <whitem_at_bofh.usask.ca>
"Craig I. Hagan" <hagan_at_cih.com>
"Dave Golden" <golden_at_falcon.invincible.com>
Mike Ferris <mike_at_pps.ca>
"Zaldivar, Ned" <ZaldivarN_at_zeus.dt.uh.edu>
John Fischer <jfischer_at_worldbank.org>
Kent R Arnott <karnott_at_falcon.tamucc.edu>
Isaac <I.O.Oribioye_at_herts.ac.uk>
Mak Andrew <Andrew.Mak_at_MIS.SYDNEY.nestleau.nestle.com>
Jerry Winegarden <jbw_at_oit.duke.edu>