Sugestions to configure Sybase Server and Backup Server

From: <CLIWMH_at_mhvx01.tsl.co.il>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 12:24:11 GMT

Could somebody to advise me the best configuration for high available,
high performance Sybase system.
We have two Alpha 400 Servers that should run
1. two Database servers + their Backup Servers,
2. Backup software for about 20 UNIX clients. (Networker)
Basically we work 24 hours in a day. We need high availability solution for

our systems. So we bought DECSave Available Server.
our systems. So we bought DECSave Available Server.
Each node should support high availability for another one through DecSafe
capabilities.
It seems that logically all databases in our site can be deviled in two groups:
- one contains engineering data (both OLTP and DSS) - about 18 Gb
- second all others : finance - OLTP + night reports - 1G,inventories
control - Few queries during the day and heavy night works - reports- 0.5G,
other OLTP small databases that has many transactions during day.

Hardware: 2 x Alpha server -4000/5/300 in one cluster (DecSafe)
Each one have:
        RAM 512Mb
        Internal disks 2x2Gb
        10 x4Gb disks in RAID ; each hardware system component is
duplicated on the RAID(controller, power supply,...)
        2 DLT tapes

Software:
        Digital UNIX 4.0
        Sybase 11.0.x + Backup Server
        DECsafe Available Server
        Networker
Which RAID (0,0+1,3,5..) should be used for syslogs, data device, master,
sysprocedures ?
0+1 - seems be best performance, high avail. solution for any Sybase
device, isn't it ?
What partitioning for system disk do you recommended( we want to run accounting
and keep some information for growing files so maybe var will be separated
as independent file system,and we want to mirroring the system disk,is a
good idea to setup LSM with AdvFS also?,...)?
Any suggestions, remarks would be greatly appreciated

Liliana