SUMMARY: DEC 3000 300 - switching between graphics console and VT

From: martini <Ian.Martin_at_barclays.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:16:10 +0100 (BST)

I asked:

How do I switch between the graphics console and the serial port on boot
up?
I have a DEC3000 300 that will only communicate via the serial port. How
do I switch to the graphics console. Is it a software command at boot
monitor level, or something I need to change at the hardware level?

Lots of people suggested that I set the variable 'console' to 'graphics'
instead of serial at the boot monitor (>>) prompt. Unfortunately
my DEC didn't like that - it knew nothing of a 'console' variable.

Harald Lundberg had the solution I required:

The hw manual has a page about this - there's a jumper inside that tells
the system to use the alternate console. (page 6-5)

The jumper is positioned close to the disk drive, (4 pins). If you
connect 1-2 then the graphics is enabled, if 2-3 then the serial is
enabled.

Thanks to all who replied ...

martini.
Ian Martin ---> E-mail : Ian.Martin_at_barclays.co.uk
Barclays Bank PLC, AIO : MARTIN,IL1
Unix Systems Support Team, Phone : +44 (0)1565 614736
Radbroke Hall, Fax : +44 (0)1565 654473
Knutsford, Cheshire. WA16 9EU