SUMMARY: Floppy drive question

From: Mike Galuza <mgaluza_at_dejarnette.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 96 13:08:43 EDT

My problem was that my DU 4.0 system wasn't recognizing the floppy drive.
Even after I did a MAKEDEV fd0.

Thanks to Dr. Tom Blinn for his help. Below is his reply to me, and my
reply to him which summarizes how I remedied the problem. Everything
is fine now, but I am troubled by the fact that the required entries were
missing from my config file.

-------------
Reply from Tom:
-------------

If you installed V4.0 from scratch (instead of installupdate), then when it
was installed, the /dev/*fd0* device names should have been created, if the
floppy device was found in the configuration.

If you look in the /var/adm/messages file, you should see the entries for
the probing of fdi0 at isa0, and the probing for fd0 at fdi0. If they're
not there, there are two possibilities:

1) The entry for fd0 got removed from the configuration file somehow, and
the built kernel doesn't probe the device (the floppy interface is still set
up as a static driver, so the entry has to be present for the device to be
found).

2) The floppy interface or the floppy drive isn't working correctly.
[Stuff deleted because this wasn't the case]...

The acid test is to boot /genvmunix and see if it sees the floppy device.
If it can see it (and use it), then you have a software problem in the
kernel you're running, and a reconfigure and rebuild should fix it.

Tom
-------------
My Reply to Tom:
-------------

You were right on the money. Here is my response to different portions of
your last message.

Thanks a lot,
Mike

> If you look in the /var/adm/messages file, you should see the entries for
> the probing of fdi0 at isa0, and the probing for fd0 at fdi0. If they're
> not there, there are two possibilities:

I saw fdi0 at isa0, but no fd0 at fdi0.

> The acid test is to boot /genvmunix and see if it sees the floppy device.
> If it can see it (and use it), then you have a software problem in the
> kernel you're running, and a reconfigure and rebuild should fix it.

I booted genvmunix and the fd0 at fdi0 appeared so I know the problem must
be with my config.

> 1) The entry for fd0 got removed from the configuration file somehow, and
> the built kernel doesn't probe the device (the floppy interface is still set
> up as a static driver, so the entry has to be present for the device to be
> found).

I compared my system config file with GENERIC and saw that mine was missing
the following lines:

device disk fd0 at fdi0 drive 0
device disk fd1 at fdi0 drive 1

I used doconfig to add these and rebuild my kernel, rebooted and voila,
the drive was good to go!

Thanks again,
Mike

Michael Galuza
DeJarnette Research Systems mgaluza_at_dejarnette.com
401 Washington Ave Suite 700 Voice: +1(410)583-0680 x691
Towson, MD 21204 Fax: +1(410)583-0696