LK401 behaving oddly

From: Simon Tardell <tardell_at_particle.kth.se>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 19:18:19 +0100

Hello all,

I'm having problems with a LK401-AA Rev B01 with Swedish keycaps (this is odd,
btw, this model has the words "Search" etc in English on the keycaps while my
own LK401-AM have them in Swedish) on a 3300LX.

In the standard keymap Mode_switch is attached to Compose_L and e.g. The Å key
has ][ on the mode-switched positions. Pressing and releasing each key
separately gives the expected key press and key release events (as observed
using xev). Pressing and holding one of Shift_L and Compose_L and then
pressing and releasing Å also gives the expected result. However, pressing and
holding both of Shift_L and Compose_L and then pressing and releasing Å gives
a key press event for Shift_L, Compose_L, Å and then a key release event for
Å, Shift_L and Compose_L (though I'm still holding them down). Any subsequent
pressing of Å yields the un-modeswitched un-shifted å. Releasing Compose_L
then yields a key press event (for the same key) and releasing Shift_L gives a
key press event for that key (meaning that now pressing a should-be-unmodified
Å yields [...). Pressing any other key brings out the missing key release
events.

I suspect something like firmware bug in the keyboard (the computer itself is
latest rev in firmware and OS), but I couldn't find any such bug in mentioned
in the archives.

I tried two different keyboards (same rev), but only one computer -- I don't
fancy rebooting all the computers in the department to try this one out (is
this still true that switching keyboards require rebooting, btw?).

Can anyone confirm (or not) that the keyboards are broken?

Regards,

Simon

Simon Tardell, voice +46 8 162688 fax +46 8 347817
Fysikum, Stockholms universitet simon_at_physto.se, tardell_at_particle.kth.se