How to avoid tar write access?

From: Juergen Bock <FDV20_24_at_dbf-s1.dbf.ddb.de>
Date: Wed Oct 30 09:10:17 1996

Hi there,

we have a little problem. Our operators are supposed to do backups
and restores. They will need root access to backup everything. Sudo
will do the job. But here is the catch: Those guys don't know much
about UNIX and I sometimes doubt their responsibility (Sounds hard, I
know). So I don't want them to have root access for writing. We use
GNU tar for our backups (it runs on almost all platforms).

There are a few approaches we discussed:
-Modify GNU-tar. Take away the 'x' feature and then use sudo (seems
to work; looks quick and dirty)
-Set an alias for tar to tar -k (difficult)
-Don't give 'em root access at all and I have to do it myself (Naah)
-???

Did anybody face the same problem? How did you solve it? How do you
handle your backup stuff?
I will summarize.

TIA
Juergen