From: Juergen Bock <FDV20_24_at_dbf-s1.dbf.ddb.de>
Date: Thu Oct 31 16:18:30 1996

Hi folks,

there were a lot of replies to my query. They said:

*Write a menu -- My first idea, but my boss told me not to do that
*Write a C wrapper -- Good approach
*Write a shell script or perl script -- Good
*Use amanda or NSR -- Maybe amanda. We have OSF1, Solaris, AIX, Linux
boxes and a firewall. Each machine is backed up on its own tape drive.
*Use a tool called 'priv' (See ftp://ftp.ucdavis.edu/pub/unix/ for
availability) -- I will check that out
*Use cron to backup -- We actually do that. But we have lots of
extraordinary backups to do.
*Fire the guys -- Good idea. I'll ask my boss.
*Don't use tar, use dump instead -- See above. All our tapes can be
read on all our tape drives. dump won't allow that.
*Make them member of the operating group -- I tried, but that did not
work for me
*Teach 'em UNIX -- We do that, but it takes time (which we don't
have)

OK, here is what I'll do:
First, I will chop off my foot for not RTFM. Sudo DOES allow me to
use command line arguments. So I can allow them root access for
writing tapes and void the right to use the 'x' feature. It should
suit our needs. For more information on sudo, check out
http://www.courtesan.com/courtesan/products/sudo/
Maybe (to allow only certain devices , etc) I will write a little C
wrapper. But I think that won't be necessary. As far as I can see
now, sudo will do the job.

Thanks to all who replied (too many to list)
Juergen

Die Deutsche Bibliothek Juergen Bock
Zeppelinallee 4-8 069-7566-735
60325 Frankfurt bock_at_dbf.ddb.de