setld tar errors

From: Mike Galuza <mgaluza_at_dejarnette.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 96 16:25:24 EST

I'm having a small problem, or should I say annoyance, with a product
kit I'm building. When I install the kit using setld, tar spits out
errors saying it was unable to preserve owner/group. However, since
setld was run as root it actually DOES preserve the owner/group. setld
then continues on to say that the kit may not have been installed
correctly. This may be very misleading to the customer, and we would
have to include something in our installation manuals telling them
to ignore these errors. I could give all my files root ownership, and
then change ownership after installation, but I would like to avoid this.
Does anyone know of another way to avoid this? Or does anyone know of
something I could be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance. I will summarize.

Mike

Michael Galuza
DeJarnette Research Systems mgaluza_at_dejarnette.com
401 Washington Ave Suite 700 Voice: +1(410)583-0680 x691
Towson, MD 21204 Fax: +1(410)583-0696