FW: Security ALERT: Crooks on the Internet

From: George Gallen <ggallen_at_slackinc.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 96 10:02:00 EST

The way this scam works is this. 809 is an area code in the Virgin
Islands
After calling, the "operators" will speak little english or keep putting
you
on hold, the cost for this call runs about $25.00 / minute and YES
MA BELL will make you pay it (after all you willing called it). 900 block
will NOT work, as this is not a 900 number. All companies involved are
foreign, thus the US Govt can not help you. These are charges incurred
by a foreign phone company, and from what I've heard it is very difficult
fight. Other sources are not just the internet. They have been beeping
physicians and attorneys with this number as well. So don't just look for
the letter of debt, also if you see it come up on a beeper or anything
DO NOT CALL, unless you have a hundred or so dollars that you can waste.
If thats the case, I'll gladly supply you with my Snail mail address.

Good Luck
George Gallen
ggallen_at_slackinc.com