SUM: DLT auto loader reliability?

From: John Miller <John.Miller_at_jcu.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 22:06:58 +1000 (EST)

Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

The consensus is that the TZ885 Digital Linear Tape auto loader and its
predecessors in 7 tape cartridge guises are excellent as far as
reliability is concerned. The upgradability of the drives while retaining
the auto loading mechanics received general approval as well.

Tom Webster <webster_at_europa.mdc.com> alerts us to a gotcha regarding the
licensing of NSR from V4.2a which he reports requires a Tier One Jukebox
option evne if you only use it as a sequential auto loader.

My original request and the interesting bits of the replies follow.
| John Miller | Internet Mail - John.Miller_at_jcu.edu.au |
| Computer Centre |
| James Cook University of North Queensland | Phone: +61 77 815447 |
| Townsville, 4811, AUSTRALIA | Fax: +61 77 815230 |

********************
From: Jo Knox <fxjwk_at_aurora.alaska.edu>
We have a rather older TF857 subsequently upgraded to TZ877. This uses a
TZ87 (10/20 GB). I really love this drive; the 7 tape autoloader has
broken once in the several years we've had it (broken gear, fixed the same
day), and failed to load a tape once, that I can recall. Coming from 9
track tapes, this thing is a dream! We've been able to make our machine
room pretty much a lights out operation; I need to go by there once per
week and change tapes!
Jo Knox
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Division of Computing & Communications

********************
From: "Alan Rollow - Dr. File System's Home for Wayward Inodes."
     <alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com>

None that I've seen. I wrote the Digital UNIX side of the Media
Robot Utility that should be included with the TZ885 to control
the robot and I've never had our TZ885 fail. We also have some
older TZ875s and they have also been fairly reliable. We had one
bad one, but I think it bad from the start.

********************
From: Tom Webster <webster_at_europa.mdc.com>
To: John.Miller_at_jcu.edu.au

We have a number of TZ877's here (TZ85 drives with a seven slot robot) and
they have been very reliable with NSR or acting as autoloaders (VAX/VMS 5.x).

The robot setup has gotten much simpler with NSR 4.2, if you are going to be
using NSR and are running at least 3.2c give upgrading some thought. If you are
going to be using it as a juke, you are also going to need to load up the
CAM software. Under 3.2x we had to load both sets to get it to work reliably
(even though we don't have an optical drive). (BTW - There are conflicts
between the CAM software and the Multi-Media stuff for DU, you are going to
have to jettison the MM stuff.)

Other than some crankyness with the CAM software the TZ877s have been a joy.
So far, after a year of heavy use with NSR, I haven't had any mechanical
problems.

The only downside I can think of for the TZ8xx family is that with NSR 4.2a,
you need to pay for a Tier-1 Juke license -- even if you are using it as an
autoloader. (This is a new thing with the 4.2a release, you used to be
able to use them as dumb changers for free.)

In regards to the TZ88's: We have four of them in our TL812. The biggest
problem to date is the media. We were lucky and got enough to stock the
library when we bought it. Others on this list are claiming that there
is a 6-8mo waiting list for tapes. The media is also hellishly expensive.

Hope my ramblngs helped,

Tom
--
| Tom Webster                    | "Funny, I've never seen it   |