File/Application Manager Open Directory Error

From: Paul Petty <ppetty_at_bahamas.net.bs>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 15:31:47 -0500 (EST)

Greetings,

  We have a strange problem with an Alpha 2100 which was running ver 3.2c of
DEC OSF. We upgraded it to v 4.0 Digital Unix. Most of the OS seems to be
functiong OK. But when the customer (logged in as root) goes into the
desktop and clicks on File Manager they get the following error message:

File Manager Open Directory Error...Invalid Folder Specification,( / )

If they log in as a regular user and double click File Manager they get the
same message above but the (/) is subsituted with the users home directory.

When they click on Application Manager the following appears:

File Manager Open Directory Error...Invalid Folder Specification,
/usr/var/dt/appconfig/appmanager/root-PFC_BAHAMAS-0.

WHAT WE'VE DONE SO FAR:

1 Checked that these directories exists.
2 Checked to see if OSFCDEAPPS400 subsets where installed.
3 "fverify < subset" the subsets had 0% errors
4 Checked permissions on /usr/dt. (755)
5 Checked /etc/hosts. The local machine is defined.
6 Checked for .Xdefault and .Xsession files. None.
7 Checked error logs (startlog, errorlog). Nothing useful.
8 Rename .dt directory so that it created a new one upon login.
9 Scratched our heads 10 times.

Has anyone ever seen this before ? I need your help urgently!!!
If you require any additional info let me know.

Paul Petty
Digital Systems (Bahamas) Ltd.