SUMMARY: lost kernels and other questions

From: Becki S Kain <bkain1_at_ford.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 11:01:25 -0500

Thanks to all, especially for not goofing on me. A lot of people said "Ouch"!

In article <199611071439.AA09441_at_internet-mail.ford.com> you write:
}I had a call last night from someone, on a 3.2c system, alpha station 1000 (I
}think) had done a rm /*. As far as I could tell, what he had lost was
}genvmunix, vmunix, the links to bin, lib, sys, and var, and DXsession. He
}remade the four links, doconfig'ed a new kernel, and moved it to /. We
checked
}all the permissions on root. I had him ftp from my 3.2c system (although it
}was 3000/600) my genvmunix. When he rebooted the machine, it said that it
}couldn't find osfbootstrap code.
}
}1. what did I miss?

/osf_boot

thankfully, the someone in question had the cd mounted, pulled the file from
it.

}2. can you use genvmunix from one 3.2c box to another (of different
}architecture?) (maybe a dumb question, sorry)

Yes.

}3. how can you tell from what configuration file a kernel is built (besides
}just doing a strings?)

A lot of people recommended sizer, but I can't find anywhere in the man page
where kernel identity is. I even did a strings on /vmunix with the different
configuration file names of this machine that I inheirted, and none of them
show up. Guess you just have to remember

thanks to all!

becki kain

thanks to:
davis_at_decatl.alf.dec.com <davis_at_decatl.alf.dec.com
Anil Khullar, Computer Center <Anil.Khullar_at_mailhub.gc.cuny.edu>
John Hascall <john_at_iastate.edu>
matthewm_at_sgate.com
pgh_at_unx.dec.com
djp_at_unx.dec.com