SUMM: NSR single server: Not flexible enough ?

From: Guy Dallaire <dallaire_at_total.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 15:32:06 -0500

First, thanks to all who replied and sorry for the late summary.

My post:

One of our staff member is presently evaluating the Networker Single Server
that came with the DU 3.2D-1 base OS. He told me that there was no way of
implementing a Flexible backup schedule with this product, is that true ?

He tells me that we cannot CREATE new schedules, or more than ONE schedule.
For example, is it possible to "spread" the full backups accros 5 days so we
don't get all the full backups on the same day (Takes a LOT of time)... with
single server ?

I taught the only difference between the "FULL version" of NSR and the
"Single server" version was that the option to centralize backup on a single
machine was missing. It seems that some flexibility is missing also, am I
right ?

We have two NAS 200 packages here, someone told me that the FULL version of
NSR was included in the NAS 200. Does this mean that I can remotly back up
servers with this and have more Flexible options ?

                                Thanks

The conclusions:

No, NSR single server is NOT FLEXIBLE enough. You can't create or modify
schedule and you have to always back up the whole server. It's quite stable
tough.

Most people suggested that I use the FULL version which is available with
the base NAS200 package that comes with an AlphaServer 2100. They also said
that NSR is a good product. Some of them complained that the index producted
by NSR may be quite large and that some disk space must be available in
order to create the index.

Also, remember to run 'nassetup' after loading the NAS200 PAK in order to
activate all the licences included with that particular product.

                                Thanks again to all of you !

Guy Dallaire
dallaire_at_total.net

"God only knows if god exists"