From: 16ES0001.DFS016:ZWARA016 <%GROUPWISE%DFS_at_notesgw.compuserve.com>
Date: 15 Nov 96 8:33:16

My original Question was!
--------------------------------------
Hi Managers.

We discovered the following error message when connecting thru
the console port and typing any commands.

Stray interrupt - IR:0 (intmask:dc)

The machine is a DEC Alpha 3000 / 600, 160MB RAM, 1GB HD,
DU 3.2D-1
Has anybody seen this error message, and what is the meaning of
this error?
Is it possible, that this message is being generated by an application
(software especially programmed for our company) that is running
on this machine?

Thanx to the following People who answered our question.
office: Robert.Schuhl_at_ald-vt.de;http://www.ald-vt.de
robert_at_pe.utexas.edu
wander_at_cptec.inpe.br
ginoc_at_akr-gmbh.de
rene.landert_at_gd.srg-ssr.ch
Robert.Schuhl_at_ald-vt.de

The answers:

Yes we had this problem some time ago on a 3000/600. It was a
problem of the memory-contacts. Cleaning them solved ist. This can
happen (DEC said so) it the room is too cold.

I believe the message is usually caused by a stray signal of some
sort.
The most common cause is a defective cable. You might also
check adapters
though. My experience with this turned out to be a bad FDDI card
that
wasn't registering any errors in the error log. The only way I was
able
to get rid of the message and correct the problem I was having was
to swap
cards until I ran across the right one.

The Stray Interrupt could be caused by a poor power ground. Check
if
your console is plugged on the same circuit as your system. Check if
your console data cable is not too much longer.

We have experienced the problem on M600 and M800 machines
since three years. ALso, we opened three cases about the problem
with DEC's TSC. The answeres where all more or less misleading
and useless.

We believe that it is the console serial interface itself that causes
the problem. There seems to be no harm to any application. Up to
now no
firmware update has solved the problem, but it is very inconveniant if
you must use the console.

We temporarily solved this problem by replacing the whole unit.
Anyway, this is not satisfactory for us, but we postponed the
analysis of this problem into the future.

Thank you all for answering our question.
Ralf Zwatschek
use this email-address for repley
zwara016.groupwise.dfs_at_notes.compuserve.com