The Solution: Remote printers

From: Daryl Fallin <dfallin_at_garfield.leesummit.k12.mo.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:49:09 -0600

Hello Everyone,

        Excuse me for not posting the solution to my problem earlier, but I did not realize that I was suppose to post the solution.

Well I know that many of you know this information far better than I, but in case their is someone out there like myself that is new to DU.. This might come in handy.

The original problem:

I needed to set up a remote printer on a DEC-ALPHA running OSF/1 V3.0.

The printer model:
Lexmark Optra R

What I had done before posting my original question:

 Edited the printcap file and created a spooling directory and created an accounting file and error file and have given ownership to daemon.

The printcap entry That I had:

Tech_CO_laser|lp14|lpco|laserco:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lp14err:\
        :lp=:/dev/null:\
        :rm=tech_dept_ip:\
        :rp=tech_ip:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd14:

The entry in the /etc/hosts file that I had originally:

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX tech_dept_ip.leesummit.k12.mo.us tech_dept

where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP address of the printer.

The people who responded where:

Tom Webster, Bob Berrigan, Bruce Whittaker, Robert Schuhl, Knut Hellebo and Darryl Cook

The results below are from the post made by the aforementioned persons.

The new printcap entry:

Tech_CO_laser|lp14|lpco|laserco:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lp14err:\
        :ct=remote:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=tech_dept_ip:\
        :rp=printer_cr:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd14:\

The new /etc/hosts entry:

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX tech_dept_ip.leesummit.k12.mo.us tech_dept_ip

where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP address of the printer.

The main changes were:

        Add the ct statement.. :ct=remote:\

        Change rp statemtent to... rp=printer_cr

This was defined in the Lexmark manual.

printer_cr adds a carriage return to the end of each line to prevent 'stair-stepping' by the Optra printer (Thanks Tom Webster)

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out with this one.

Daryl Fallin
LAN/WAN Administrator
Lee's Summit School District
http://www.leesummit.k12.mo.us