SUMMARY: vdump, /etc/vdumpdates, crontab and tape

From: Kjell Andresen <kjell.andresen_at_usit.uio.no>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 10:53:25 +0100 (MET)

Searching the archieves I find:
msg00092.html

Seems like a reboot might be useful and each parameter is separately.
Hope I do not have to buy a new tapedrive.

Or maybe wait for the pid to exit:
msg00112.html
-----------------
#vdump the filesystem
#runs in background but redirects stdout/stderr to /tmp/dump_tmp

vdump -0 -u -f /dev/rmt0h /raid_clone > /tmp/dump_tmp 2>&1 &
d_pid=$!

#wait for vdump to die and save its exit status
wait $d_pid
d_exit=$?
---------------

Kjell

> I have a little problem writing av script to do full backups.
> There are a few problems:
>
> 1. When the script is made up of more vdump statments all but the first
> one fails as the tapedevice is busy when the next vdump is submitted.
>
> 2. vdump -u : Does not log entries in /etc/vdumpdates when the
> commands is run in a script. It's OK if the statment is run on the command
> line. Sad because it's easy to check in /etc/vdumpdates.
>
> 3. The script is not succesfully run if output is written to a file in the
> command-line in crontab, so I had to add the exec-line in the beginning of
> the script.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec >/tmp/logg.`date +%y%m%d-%H%M` 2>&1
> /sbin/vdump -0 -Nqu -f /dev/nrmt0h /home
> /sbin/vdump -0 -Nqu -f /dev/nrmt0h /
etc.