Reclaiming disk space on DU Upgrade

From: Burch Seymour RTPS <bseymour_at_encore.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 08:37:35 -0500 (EST)

OK Here's the official word from Digital, sent to me by Thomas Leitner. Thanks!

I *think* this explains what I saw. The short answer is that "due to historical
reasons", ie disks used to be expensive, there is a tendancy to make the
root partition just barely big enough. I talked to Tom Blinn and he
suggests making root 96 Megabytes (or more if you want). This, of course,
requires a custom install.

When I ran short of space, I didn't have a lot of extra stuff to delete, so
I moved out genvmunix. Well, according to the attached memo, that did me
no good, since the install process calculates the space needed for a new
genvmunix in it want list. I also moved out a bunch of binaries in sbin
which, while not used *by* install, are reinstalled during the process. Again,
I made space, but did not *gain* space since DU needs to replace that stuff.
It sort of makes sense now, but at the time that did not occur to me.

Thanks to all who replied to this issue, and DEC, if your listening...
Please make the default root partition big enough so we don't have
to go through this. Disk is now very cheap. Wasting 20 or 30 megs is nothing
compared to the cost of my time spending several hours trying to get install
to proceed.

-Burch-