Two different Printing Problems

From: Barry Treahy <treahy_at_allianceelec.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 10:34:45 -0700

All but one of my printers are connected to my Alpha running 4.0 via DS700
terminal servers using LAT. The only printer that runs perfect in the
direct-connect. These same configuration worked great when the system was a
DECserver running DEC Ultrix... I have two problems that is just driving me
nuts.

Problem #1:
On spooled printer queues, the last lines of the last page is sometimes not
maing it to the printer. I've viewed the queued file and the file is
complete. I don't have a serial protocol analyzer, so I cannot confirm that
data is leaving the DS and arriving at the printer, but this same
configuration ran fine when the main system was a DECstation running Ultrix.

Problem #2:
On printers that are not spooled (used for checks, invoices, etc.), the
printer will occasionally behave like flow control is failing. Midstream in
a large run, portions of a job will be trashed. I have hooked up a breakout
box and confirmed that signaling does seem ok and the DS700 shows that the
PORT is transitioning between XON/XOFF...

Any ideas? Anyone experience this before?

Barry Treahy, Jr. Email: treahy_at_allianceelec.com
Vice President Phone: (602) 483-9400 x325
Information Technologies FAX: (602) 443-3898
Alliance Electronics, Inc. * 7550 East Redfield Road * Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Semiconductor & Computer System Sales WWW: http://www.allianceelec.com
Phone: (800) 608-9494 Email: sales_at_allianceelec.com
                         ... but its a DRY HEAT!