SUMMARY: DU-4.0A : root-login hanging...

From: Bernt Christandl <beb_at_rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 08:56:15 +0100

Hello managers,

my original question (see below) was solved by Dr. Tom Blinn (who else?):
he bet (and won) that a "netsetup" would solve my problem; it does.

The underlying reason seems to be that CDE "knows" about the hostname
and burries it somewhere in its files (see the answer of Dave Cherkus).

Thanks a lot for your help!

"Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-881-0646" <tpb_at_ZK3.DEC.COM>
Dave Cherkus <cherkus_at_UniMaster.COM>
GLADNEY_at_stsci.edu

with regards,

Bernt Christandl

- Bernt Christandl / Max Planck Institut fuer Extraterrestrische Physik -
- D-85740 Garching / Phone: +49/89/3299-3342 / Fax: +49/89/3299-3569 -
- Internet: beb_at_mpe-garching.mpg.de -

cherkus_at_UniMaster.COM said:

> CDE does bury the hostname in its config files somewhere. I presume
> your 255/233 has a new hostname, but because CDE buries the hostname
> in its config files it doesn't know that it is now running on a new
> host.

> My solution was to use xsetup to use the old 'xdm' login Sequence -
> it solved two problems at once!

> -- Dave Cherkus ----- UniMaster, Inc. ----- Contract Software
> Development Specialties: UNIX TCP/IP X OSF/1 AlphaAXP AIX RS/6000
> Performance ISDN Email: cherkus_at_UniMaster.COM Tel: (603) 888-8308
> Fax: (603) 888-4598 The Internet runs on its programmers, and
> programmers run on coffee!!!

my original question was: