HELP! Can't connect to my machine at more than 9600 bps via modem

From: Guy Dallaire <dallaire_at_total.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 10:08:47 -0500

I know, it's not the fist time that people ask that kind of questions. But I
searched the archives and tried EVERYTHING there and my modem problem is
still not fixed. Are there any good summaries/documents about setting up a
high speed modem with a Digital UNIX box ?

I'm trying to get my modem (GVC14400) to work on my machine(s) (Slpha
Servers 400's and 2100's) and can't get a connection higher than 9600 bps,
no matter how I try !

What I want is a PPP connection at 14400 (And maybe 28800 later). For this,
I have to first log into my system (via getty at 14400) and then issue the
/usr/local/etc/pppd command once logged into my account.

Everything is working fine up to 9600 bps but I can't figure how to set it
up to something higher than this.

Is it possible with my machines/modem ?

My modem can connect at 14400 now, but I get no login prompt....Nothing !

I tried various setting in /etc/gettydefs (I tried 19200, 57600, 14400) like

M57600 B57600 HUPCL CS8 #B57600 SANE IXANY TAB3 HUPCL #login: #M57600

I placed a blank line between each entry.

I set up my modem with something like:

AT&FE0S0=1Q1

What /etc/gettydefs entry should I use ? Does the baud rate specify the
speed of the CONNECTION, or the speed between the computer and the RS-232
interface ?

Should I use XON/XOFF or hardware flow control ?

Should I force the modem to connect at the desired speed ?

Is it supposed to work, or am I just waisting my time on this ?

                                TIA !

Guy Dallaire
dallaire_at_total.net

"God only knows if god exists"