SUMMARY: changing a user password

From: Florian Fuchs <captain_at_sport3.uibk.ac.at>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 10:33:15 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

My problem was:

> When I login as "root" and want to change a user's passwd, all I have to
> do is a "passwd user". I just enter the new passwd and everything is fine.
>
> However, when I login under my account and do a "su -" and then a "passwd
> user", the system asks me for the old password of the user, which I
> obviously don't know. Changing the password after executing a "su -" by
> using "dxaccounts" works fine. Unfortunately, I am not always sitting on
> a graphical terminal. Is there anything I can do except removing the old
> password of the user with "edauth" and then setting a new one?
>
> btw. I am using DU 4.0

Thank you very much to Tom Webster <webster_at_europa.mdc.com> who helped me
a lot.

There is a tool by Randy Hayman available at
ftp://raven.alaska.edu/pub/randy/zuausr which allows to do some
administrative stuff even on a VT100 terminal. I have tested the tool a
little bit and from what I have seen so far it requires some improvements.

Tom Webster also informed he that he has contacted Digital regarding this
problem and they claim the behavior is part of the C2 spec.

-Florian Fuchs