SUMMARY: Setting up a new DU box

From: James Anderson <anderson_at_ocaxp1.cc.oberlin.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 13:28:05 -0500 (EST)

Again, the list came through. Thanks to all those who got back to
me. Here's what I came up with:

> 1. Should I use ADVFS for the the file systems? (All of them?)

pretty much a resounding vote for no for the root partition and yes for
everything else.

> 2. The box is coming with 18 rz29b's and a swxcr with 32M of cache. On my
> vms box, I partition the raid sets down to smaller "partitions" using the
> RAID Software to accomplish this. Can ADVFS do this "partitioning" for me
> or do I run LSM on top of the raid sets.

General consensus is to let the hardware do it's thing and then run advfs
to the whole thing to split it up. One comment was made though about the
overhead of advfs flushing itself in a production oracle environment.
I'll have to investigate this. It was also mentioned not to use raw
partitions for Oracle. Addtionally, it was pointed out that I could use
the the hardware to set up the raid sets, then use LSM to partition things
down and use advfs to manage the partitions LSM created. Interesting...
Finally, the recommendation was made that if I use advfs, make sure I'm
running all the patches on a pre 4.0a system or just run 4.0a.

> 3. I plan on running enhanced security on this box. Any gotchas on this?

Some comments were made about third party (and even some dec software)
still wanting to use /etc/passwd. Consensus was to check with my vendor.

> 5. This will be a big time Oracle box. Comments/gotcha's on setting it
> up?

MEMORY!!! that pretty much sums up the responses.

Thanks again.

Jim

----
James C. Anderson                      PHONE: (216) 775-6929
Computer Systems Manager                 FAX: (216) 775-8573
Houck Computing Center                 Email: anderson_at_ocaxp1.cc.oberlin.edu
Oberlin College                   Home Page: http://www.oberlin.edu/~anderson/
Oberlin, OH 44074