Digital Unix NIS + Netware NDS + MS NT4.0 interoperability?

From: Andrew Leahy <A.Leahy_at_st.nepean.uws.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:18:37 +1100 (EST)

Okay here's a good one for all those DU/NIS/NDS/NT guru's!

In a few months we will be setting up a lab of NT4.0 workstations for
students. We'd really students to be able to login to these PC's using
their current Digital Unix passwords, and then have access to their Unix
home directories and the Unix print queues (which are quota limited), as
well as attaching to a Netware or NT server for access to the PC
applications/etc (I'm a unix bod, so I'm a bit shady on the Novell/NT side
of things).

What we've got:

* NIS (Enhanced Security) master on a DU4.0 serving passwd maps for our
AlphaStations.

* We also have Ultrix Enhanced Security (Kerberos), the Kerberos master
uses the passwd map from the DU NIS Master, this provides authentication
for our Ultrix lab's.

* Novell Netware 3.x/4.11 servers

* MS NT4.0 servers

* DU 4.0 (Enhanced Security+NIS) Alpha acting as a NFS fileserver,
currently running Samba to provide some file/print shares to WorkGroup
PC's (and possibly NT?).

We're currently looking at NetwareNFS 2.1 - which provides some NIS
support for NDS. Apparently the NT Server (and hence the NT workstations)
will talk to NDS for user authentication. I'm toying with the idea of
doing a horrible kludge - involving a second Unix NIS Master (running Base
Security) and some scripts to copy the Enhanced NIS maps to this master.
The different passwd crypting will be painful however.

Someone must have gotten these beasties working together???

Are there other alternatives we could look at? We could possible even
throw some $$$ at a good solution!

Thanks.
Andrew "Alf" Leahy, phone: 047 360385
Unix Administrator, mailto:alf_at_nepean.uws.edu.au
Systems & Ops, TASS, CCD, UWS Nepean http://www.st.nepean.uws.edu.au/~alf/