Whaddya mean, "No such file or directory"?

From: Jeff Higgins <higgins_at_aces.k12.ct.us>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 11:41:42 -0500 (EST)

First the problem, then some background in case it helps:

The problem: reinstall Netsite Communications Server 1.0 from CD. First, I
couldn't do a # cp /cdrom/NETSITE.TAR /usr/whatever, because the system came
back with the error, NETSITE.TAR: no such file or directory. Using my beautiful
new graphical File Manager, I clicked on /cdrom/NETSITE.TAR and was able to
copy it over to /usr/whatever via the menu. Next:

# ls -l

-r-xr-xr-x 1 root daemon 7383040 Dec 6 08:21 NETSITE.TAR;1

# tar -xovf NETSITE.TAR
tar: cannot open NETSITE.TAR: No such file or directory

Why is the file not being recognized?

Now the background:

Some of the esteemed company may recall that earlier this week I tried to
restore the OS from dump tapes. The system wouldn't boot with the restored
files, so I went and installed DU 4.0a on the former system disk. A new problem
arose: DEC phone support also had me wipe out my old /usr filesystem, too. No
problem, said I. I will install 4.0a, install the Internet Administration SW
from the latest CD and reinstall my httpd. This brought me to the situation
above, where I first couldn't cp the file, and now can't unpack it.

HELP! My web site is now running under APACHE as a last resort, and the CGI
stuff (clickable maps, forms-posting) doesn't work!! I want NS back!

Jeff Higgins
ACES Technology Services
higgins_at_acesk12.ct.us
http://csde.aces.k12.ct.us