[S] bootp 4.0a kernel w/o RIS or DMU

From: Jim Surlow <jsurlow_at_hydra.acs.uci.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:54:51 -0800

'Bout time I got this out.

Never really got anywhere. If we were sending the bootp over
our subnets, then I might be able to get RIS to work (see below).

Jim Surlow

------- Original Questions

Alpha managers,

We do a lot of DU installs, but we can't guarantee a DU machine
on each subnet - so we don't use RIS or DMU. We can guarantee
a unix host with bootpd & tftpd. With 3.2c, we
hacked the kernel on the CD (/vmunix) and inserted our own
script overwriting .profile. The vmunix would allow us to:
 #1) boot over the net with bootp & tftp
 #2) put / & /usr in RAM allowing us to partition the hard drive
     and install the OS on the hard drive.

With 4.0a (& 4.0), the CD & kernel is different. The only way
that I saw of accomplishing #1 was to do a "doconfig -n". But,
the kernel generated wants to nfs mount / & /usr and bombs when
it can't (thus not accomplishing #2).

I'm assuming that it is trying to nfs mount from the
same host that provides the bootp & tftp. [Also, I think that it
is trying a DHCP rather than bootp & I don't know what else DEC's
DHCP (joind) might supply the client.

So, does anyone know if I can get the bootp kernel that I want,
or of another avenue ? (rather than -- one -- carting around the
CD or -- two -- hacking the latest 3.2 kernel to provide the RAM disk)

Thanks in advance,

Jim Surlow
UC Irvine

------- Addendum

Lance Berc (berc_at_pa.dec.com) had asked if I did a packet trace.
I did and there were other files that were required in the bootup.

I put the /etc/ files that are tftp'ed in my tftp directory
as well.

- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root users 15112 Nov 4 13:47 ddr.db*
- -rw-r--r-- 1 root users 152 Nov 4 13:48 dec_devsw_db
- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root users 2528 Nov 4 13:48 dec_hw_db*
- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 0 Nov 4 13:53 dec_hw_db.bak*
- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root users 0 Nov 4 13:48 dec_scsi_db*
- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root daemon 0 Nov 4 13:57 dec_scsi_db.bak*
- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root users 1920 Nov 4 13:30 gen_databases*
- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root users 24225 Nov 4 13:30 sysconfigtab*

------- Message 5

Marty Horowitz (mah_at_unx.dec.com) suggested that DU4.0b might help
when it is shipped.

------- Message 9

This is really, really cool!! Are you willing to share how you hacked
the kernel? I am really interested.

Andy
- --
Andy Sheaff - sheaff_at_eece.maine.edu
http://www.eece.maine.edu/Faculty/Sheaff.html

+++++++

We sucked the whole file into memory, and search for the .profile
and changed it the first several comment lines and made sure not
to change the size of the binary. But, since I can't find a source
that will work, it won't do you much good.

------- Message 11