Q: why can't vmunix get my mbuf?

From: Chris Stoddart <C.P.Stoddart_at_open.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 09:12:40 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I have an Alpha 3000/600 still running D/U V3.0 that suddenly won't stay
up for more than a day or so. The machine boots fine, then sometime
between 12 and 36 hours after that, freezes solid, and the only way to
get it back is to reset (which is obviously not a good thing!). This
happens whether or not anyone is logged on at the time.

The only 'symptom' I can find is just before freezing it writes a single
message to /var/adm/messages - 'vmunix: cant get mbuf'. Anybody got any
idea what this means?

This machine doesn't have a history of crashing - it's only done this
since the owner decided to re-arrange their office last week, so the
machine had to be shut down and rebooted - prior to that it had an uptime of
about 230-odd days! I can't find any hardware errors anywhere on the
system by running diagnostics, and the only 'cure' I can think of is to
upgrade the machine to 4.0A. But I would like to know what it thinks it's
doing - so if anyone has a clue......?

I'd be very grateful. Summary will follow.

Chris
--
Dr Chris Stoddart                   *     I've had it with reality:
Systems Manager, Dept. of Physics,  *     I want a Fairy Godmother