hung program question

From: Cliff Krieger <ckrieger_at_latrade.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 10:51:27 -0500 (EST)

Hi managers,

I hope you all had a merry Christmas....now back to work. :)

I had a problem this morning when one of my NFS servers crashed. I know
the cause of the panic, and that is not the problem I am asking about.

One of the clients was executing a job from an automounted file system
that was from that NFS server. The process hung until the server came
back to life.

It is the belief of our programmers, for what it is worth, that the
program in question had no open files on the NFS file system. One of
them suggested that perhaps the entire executable had not been read into
memory, and was the source of the hang.

My question to you all is two fold: 1) Does this sound right? 2) If
this is the nature of the problem, is there something I can do to keep
this from happening in the future?

-cliff