ADVFS exception error

From: <tmlam_at_se.cuhk.edu.hk>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 13:44:57 +0800 (HKT)

Hi Managers,

A couple of days ago, our 8200 server running DU 3.2d2 hanged suddenly. Since
remote login could not be done and the console was frozen, we press the restart
button. The console shown the following error when it tried to mount an advfs
from a RAID disk (level 0+1) on auto-reboot:

  ADVFS EXCEPTION
  module = 25, Line = 719
  cpu(12) panic

  Dump ...

After dumping, it tried to reboot and falled into the same error and started
dumping again!

We booted into single user mode and change fstab so that it skip the
problematic advfs. The RAID controller is ok since another RAID disk
can be mounted. The people from Digital said the advfs was corrupted. He
suggested we re-initialize the RAID disk and restore everything from tape.
We did and it is ok now. That means the disks are ok too.

Now the question is what causes the whole thing? How can we prevent it from
happening again. We had applied all patches that Digital had given us. Any
idea?

TIA

TM Lam
(tmlam_at_se.cuhk.edu.hk)