SUMMARY: NSR: TLZ07 4/8GB only saves 4GB

From: Terje Sten Bjerkseth <tsb_at_admintec.no>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 01:49:18 +0100

The question was: Why does my TLZ07 report just 4GB saved in NSR?

Of course, the compression rate depends on the data.

There were different answers. In any case, this obviously isn't a "known
problem". Some suggested making sure that the switches on the drive
enable hardware compression. Others suggested it might be some other I/O
problem, NSR tends to treat tape full as a problem.

Some suggested that the number of bytes reported actually were
*compressed* bytes. As I seem to be using compressasm, this might very
well be the case (NSR compresses everyting, so the drive can't compress
anymore itself: if this is the case, it would be nicer if it had shown
the *uncompressed* number of bytes in the stats).

Regards
Terje Sten

- and thanks to:
pat_at_krl.caltech.edu
"Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-881-0646" <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
jason andrade <jason_at_dstc.edu.au>
jd_at_student.adelaide.edu.au
Cliff Krieger <ckrieger_at_latrade.com>
Anthony Talltree <aad_at_nwnet.net>
alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com (Alan Rollow - Dr. File System's Home for
Wayward Inodes.)

Terje Sten Bjerkseth <tsb_at_admintec.no> +47 33 47 03 20 fax +47 33 47 05
45
AdminTec a.s,Postboks 241,N-3201
Sandefjord,Norway,http://www.admintec.no/