SUMMARY: raid5 set, how many disks can fail and still recover

From: LES MAYEDA TECH SUPPORT/ISS X6656 <MAYEDA_at_CSMC.EDU>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 13:41:09 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to the following:

sanghvi_at_proto.wilm.ge.com Arun Sanghvi
ckrieger_at_latrade.com Cliff Krieger
szgyula_at_tarkus.pha.jhu.edu Gyula Szokoly
dallaire_at_total.net Guy Dallaire

Looks like the answer is you can only lose one disk in
a RAID5 set and recover.

----------

Whatever the number of devices that constitute your raisets, you are not
allowed to lose more than ONE disk. Make sure you have a spare drive in a
FAILEDSET so that the HSZ40 will grab it automatically if ever shit happens.

----------

Here is a quote from the StorageWorks Array Controllers guide:

If using RAID level 5, all data in the RAIDset will be lost if a second
drive fails in the same set before the first failed drive is repaired.

I have no reason to believe that it is different for software raid.

----------

Array will stop functioning if more then one drive failes.

----------

  As I understand RAID-5, only *one* disk can fail without data loss.
If you mean complete disk faillure. How RAID-5 works:
  You start with N drives. A data 'chunk' is divided into (N-1)
pieces, which are put on drive 1...(N-1). A special check sum is calculated,
which makes it possible to recover the data assuming *one* of these chunks are
not available. For the next data chunk, the same happens, but the drives
are 'rotated', i.e. the check sum is put on a different drive (I think drive
1, but may be (N-1) ). So in the end all drives are equal (i.e. no special
'check sum' drive exists).
  Block errors are different: You can have multiple block errors on different
drives and still have no data loss *if* the errors are distributed luckily
(i.e. don't overlap).
  Since SW and HW RAID-5 are doing the same, it does not matter which one
you have.