SUMMARY: /var/join/log

From: Peter Stern <peter_at_wiscpa.weizmann.ac.il>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:00:52 +0200 (IST)

I asked:

I am running DU v4.0.

I have a file: /var/join/log which grows at an incredible rate.
# wc log
     30124 158845 1658997 log
in only four days! It gets about 1250 entries per day!

Thanks to:
Bertrand Hutin
Gyula Szokoly
Kai Grunau
Gernot Salzer

Gyula suggested turning off joind, but I believe that I need it to
boot X-terminals and a PrintServer.
Gyula and Gernot suggested checking the -d and -l options for joind
in /etc/inetd.conf and indeed -d1 was set. Removing this and sending
kill -HUP to the inetd process did not solve the problem.
Gernot wrote:

Another reason might be that there are devices on the net with a subnet mask
which is too general and therefore allows to broadcast their bootp-requests to
too many hosts including yours. I had a case where some printer sent a
bootp-request every few seconds to the whole net, each time waking up the
bootp daemon, who wrote a few lines to the log file saying that he was not
responsible for this device.

I believe that this is the problem, but I still don't know what I can do
about it.

Peter Stern
Chemical Physics Department
Weizmann Institute of Science