Printing PCL jobs through DU 3.2D-2

From: Gunther Feuereisen <gunther_at_ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 10:24:54

Hi!

I'm currently having trouble printing jobs with PCL code sequences to
a networked HP 4+ via DU 3.2D-2.

We're running PeopleTools, which is a client-server financials application
using Oracle, which generates some of its output on the Alpha, which is then
printed via lpr.

The problem, is the file generated has PCL escape sequences, and when I print
it to the networked HP, one of two things happens:

- If I send it to the "text" queue, it prints out ok, except it prints out
  the control characters as literals, and does none of the formatting.

- If I send it to the "raw" queue, it prints the first line ok, with correct
  font and formatting, but the rest of the file is not printed (like when you
  send text to a raw queue).

If I print the file from Windows, it works fine.

Someone suggested it might the ol' carriage-return/line-feed problem. I
read through
the man pages on lpr, lpd and printcap, but couldn't seem to find anything
to help.

Has anyone run across this sort of thing before? If so, any ideas on what I
can do?

TIA,
gunther