SUMMARY-PART1: tripwire compilation and usage on DU3.2C

From: Igor V. Alekseev <aiv_at_tornado.yars.free.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 97 14:08:19 +0200

Hello, folks,

Here is the first part of the summary following my original question:

>Could anyone please share his/her experiences of compiling and using
>tripwire on DU3.2c?
>
>I've managed to compile and link it statically with the gcc 2.7.2, with
>the following flags: -DTW_TYPE32='int' (as it was recommended in the manuals
>which come with it). The programm seems to be working all right, but each
time
>it runs the terminal where it was started gets bombarded by flurries of the
>messages "Unaligned access pid=18190 <tripwire> va=11fffc94c pc=120038e58
>ra=120038dc0 type=stq" which the kernel seems to be producing.
>
>What is happening here? Has anyone experienced similar behaviour of tripwire?
>
>And the second question is: Does anybody has a tripwire configuration file
>(describing what to check/what to skip) specifically taylored to DU OS? Whith
>important files to watch included which are specific to DU?

This summary concerns the first question - how to compile tripwire cleanly?
brief answer: use the DEC cc and follow the recommendations in "Ported" file
included with tripwire distribution.

I was bought at the idea of using gcc everywhere and it seldom fails, this
is the case when it does, however.

As about the second part - I'll publish the tw.config file suitable for du3.2c
which has been constructed using help from the folks from this list after I
test it a little more.

Thanks to the following admins who offered valuable help with this matter:

Guy Dallaire <dallaire_at_total.net>
Jim <jims_at_gatekeeper.dor.state.ma.us>
Nebojsa Hrmic <nebojsa_at_alf.tel.hr>
John Files <jhf_at_dmu.ac.uk>

Replies expanded:

_______________________________________
Guy Dallaire:

This is not dangerous. The ALPHA chip si 64 bits. There is a processor trap
that gets activated when a program is accessing data that is not 64bit
aligned. This generates a lot of overhead for the processor because it has
to fiddle with the addresses to correctly access the memory. This message
is a warning telling you that an application is NOT using 64 bit aligned
acces, and thus is wasting precious cpu cycles. You should check what
happens if you remove that compile flag.

I know there is a way to prevent these messages from happening (or ways to
fix the problem by compiling your programs in acertain manner) but I don't
remember exactly where. You can look at the programming manuals for DU or
look in the archive. I've seen that question arise frequently.

                                        HTH

Guy Dallaire
dallaire_at_total.net

"God only knows if god exists"

Jim:

Sorry, I didn't have any problem compiling Tripwire on the DEC C compiler, so I
can't help you there. But I can offer
you my excessivly paranoid Tripwire config file. I've attached it hereto.

Hope it helps.

Jim
Nebojsa Hrmic:

Hello!
        I am using DU 3.2g and I compiled tripwire with cc without problems.

I found a pointer to the DU specific tw.config file in osf_managers archive
(www-archive.stanford.edu) and it is:

http://paul.spu.edu/~prand/tripwire/tw.config_noah.spu.edu

I added some specific files for my system in it.
I am interested in seeing your summary.
All the best
        Nebojsa Hrmic
        nebojsa_at_alf.tel.hr
        admin for tel.hr domain

John Files:

I have installed tripwire v1.2 on an Alpha server 100 4/200 running
Du 4.0b. I used the following :-

compiler: cc
cflags: -g -DTW_TYPE32='int'
ldflags: -non_shared
libs: none
conf.h: conf-osf1.h
notes: Without the -g flag the compiler(actually "ugen") spins on md5.c
notes: should use INSTALL= "/usr/bin/installbsd" or
notes: INSTALL= "/usr/bin/installbsd -c"

These values I got from the ported file that came with tripwire and it seems to
be working OK.
I did try compiling with gcc and got the same errors as you have described so it
seems to be a gcc related problem !
We created a config file which I have appended - this has various references to
local disks
specific to our machine so you will need to modify it. If you think of anything
I have missed
out feel free to let me know - I only did this recently so may have missed odd
files.
Regard
John Files
sys admin
School of Computing Sciences
DMU
<jhf_at_dmu.ac.uk>

I'll post the tw.config made from the samples and pointers people sent
me asap.

Good luck and thanks, everybody,

Igor V. Alekseev Information systems expert, Yaroslavl Regional Network,
<aiv_at_tornado.yars.free.net>