SUMMARY: Can't see ace0,ace1,lp0,fdi0, or fd0 on AlphaServer 4100

From: Jonathan Hue <jhue_at_Adobe.COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:06:44 -0800

The problem was that the EISA configuration data was bad. I must
not have saved the configuration after running the ECU the first
time. I reran the ECU, made sure to save the configuration, and
after that both the generic kernel, and the kernels I had built
could see the serial ports, parallel port, and floppy.

The machine shipped with WindowsNT, and when you switch to UNIX, you
need to run the EISA configuration utility for UNIX before
installing UNIX, otherwise the configuration data is wrong and
even the generic kernel won't see ace0 etc.

Special thanks to the two people from DEC who knew exactly what
was causing the problem.

-Jonathan jhue_at_adobe.com