[Q] : simple sysadmin - files and filesystems

From: chas <sweeting_at_neuronet.com.my>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 97 02:59:18 -0000

I am coming to Digital Unix from a basic AIX background
and have inherited some Alphas that seem to have strange
configurations :

1) In AIX I would append shell commands to the /etc/rc.tcpip
   or /etc/rc.local files.
   OSF/1 has these /sbin/rc3.d , /sbin/rc0.d and
   /sbin/rc2.d directories full of scripts. But how
   did these get here ?
   eg.
   One of these (/sbin/rc3.d/S56httpd80) is for starting
   netscape webserver. If I no longer wish to use this,
   can I simply delete the file ?

   And if I wish to create a new one for say Apache
   webserver, how would I go about doing this ?
   Any pointers on this subject are much appreciated.

2) I am trying to track down all of the files that will
   grow and have the following :
    /var/adm/*
    webserver log files
    mail spool directories
   Have I missed anything else ?

3) How do you find the physical volume of the HD ?
   Whereas AIX by default gave minimal filesystem
   volumes and then left it to the sysadmin to
   add more space or filesystems as required, I think
   that my entire HD has been split between :
   /
   /proc
   /usr
   Is that the OSF way ? to split the entire physical volume
   on installation of the OS ?

Pls excuse these basic questions. Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you very much

chas

NeWT (Neuronet Web Team)

http://heaven.com.my - Channel X.