SUMMARY: Lance error on NCD X terminals

From: Magali BERNARD <Magali.Bernard_at_univ-st-etienne.fr>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 97 15:07:01 +0200

Here's my original post:

> I guess I have some problem between NCD X terminals and alphaserver/station.
>
> We have XploraPro NCD terminals booting on an alphaserver 400 4/166. All
> was fine but some weeks ago, all these terminals began to boot *very*
> slow (some minutes !), users told me sometimes their terminals freeze
> and they are unable to do anything but reboot.
> In the same time, errors appear from time to time in the NCD console
> messages:
>
> lance error 0xc0f3 = (BABL)
>
> or
>
> lance error 0xc0fb = (BABL)
> %CONSOLE-I-LOGOUT, shutting down all windows
> %LOGIN-I-STOP, shutting down
> %WARNBOX-F-KILLED, connection closed by X server
>
> NCD support told me they don't know these kind of errors.
> No trace of error under DUnix3.2C...
> As I can see, no trace of errors on the network.
> Other Xterminals (Dec VXT2000 booting on an infoserver) have no such errors.
>
> Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

The problem remains - I understand this is something bad on the
network, but I didn't find what. Our sniffer doesn't see such errors...

Thanks to Dave Cherkus <cherkus_at_homerun.unimaster.com> who explains:

> 'lance' is the Local Area Controller for Ethernet i.e.
> an ethernet chip. BABL means 'babble' i.e. the lance
> chip is complaining that it's seeing garbage on the
> data lines. It sounds like an ethernet cable or
> repeater has gone bad.

NCD support now tell me the same thing.

Magali BERNARD (magali_at_univ-st-etienne.fr)
CRITeR - 23 rue du Dr Paul Michelon - 42023 St-Etienne Cedex 2 - FRANCE
Tel: 04.77.48.50.62