SUMMARY bourne shell question

From: Morrison, Kathy D. <MORRIKD1_at_central.ssd.jhuapl.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 10:19:26 -0400

My problem with the bourne shell redirect turned out to be something
really simple--The group ownership in my tmp directory was system. Only
the owner could touch the file.
 I had removed the sticky bit from the tmp directory and had permissions
on tmp that were rw-rw-rw, but the group ownership was still "system",
and got inherited by any files created there.
The file in question had rw-rw-r, and I MISTAKENLY assumed that that
group owner was "user", not "system"............

Thanks to all the people below for their helpful suggestions and
kind,patient replies- My orig question is below.

steve beikman beikmas_at_polaroid.com
Ross Alexander rwa_at_cs.athabascau.ca
Jude T. Cruz jude_at_tsi.com.my
Chan Shih-Ping chansp_at_math.nus.s
Paul W Grant paul.grant_at_kscl.com
Alex_Nord_at_jabil.com

orig question
**
Hello managers,

I'm sorry if this is not directly DU related, but am thinking that this
list probably has the answer.

We have an ongoing problem that appears to be the result of a shell
command with the following sh syntax:

command intf.file > out 2>&1

The error message is /bin/sh:/tmp/filename.out: cannot create

Is it possible that the construct 2>&1 (which duplicates file
descriptors) cannot act correctly if the file is owned by someone else?
The file "filename.out" already exists and was created by another user
(same group, with read, write permissions).

TIA for any clues on this!

Kathy Morrison
morrison_at_apollo.jhuapl.edu