What to do in a decsafe environment when the HSZ40's are loaded ?

From: Guy Dallaire <dallaire_at_total.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 15:13:49

Hello,

We are presently using DecSafe in a DU 3.2D-1 environment. We have 2
HSZ40's configured in dual redundant mode.

Our HSZ40's are quite loaded and we are wondering what to do when all the
storage shelves will be filled. Does DecSafe support more that ONE shared
SCSI bus ?

For example:

Actual Config:

HOST1 HOST2
  | | pci bus
KZPSA--------- HSZ40 (2)----------- KZPSA

             SHARED STORAGE

Can we just add a second KZPSA in each server like this to increase storage
performance without swamping the KZPSA with I/O's:

HOST1 HOST2
  | |
KZPSA--------- HSZ40 (2)----------- KZPSA
  | | |
  | SHARED STORAGE | pci bus
  | |
KZPSA--------- HSZ40 (2)----------- KZPSA

            SHARED STORAGE

Or is it possible to have more than 1 set of HSZ40 connected to our actual
KZPSA even if it causes heavy I/O ?

HOST1 HOST2
  | |
KZPSA--------- HSZ40 (2)----------- KZPSA
  | | |
  | SHARED STORAGE | pci bus
  | |
  ------------ HSZ40 (2)---------------

            SHARED STORAGE

In those case, how does the SCSI ID work ? For now, one of the HSZ40 is
configured as SCSI 6, the Other hase 7. The prefered ID's of the first
HSZ40 is 1,2 and the second one are 3,4

Are the prefered ID's reserved ID's from the KZPSA SCSI BUS or is it
"virtual" ?

Thanks !

Guy Dallaire
dallaire_at_total.net