[SUMMARY] DNS Primary & Secondary?

From: Edward D. Silver <eds_at_ipcc.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 17:37:31 -0400 (EDT)

Lots of good quick help on this one. Most people pointed to the SOA, or
TTL lines in the hosts.XXX files, I had already tried that, but it still
seemed to take forever to update it. Some people recommended deleting
all secondary hosts.xxx files and than restarting the named daemon on the
secondary. That worked but the most elegant answer is below. Many
thanks to all who answer:

From: BigRedDog <ckrieger_at_latrade.com>
No, you don't have that quite right. When you kill -HUP the secondary,
it will read its copy of the files again. It will only read the copy
from the original when the refresh intervel has expired. That is the
second number in the SOA section of the files. I keep mine set to about
30 minutes, but you can set it to anything.

If you want to accelerate this process, you can manually transfer your
domain files and then do a kill -HUP. To manually transfer your files
you need to cd to the right directory first, probably /etc/namedb, and
then execute named-xfer with the right switches.

Here is the error message if you use the wrong switches:

Usage error: no domain
Usage: named-xfer
        -z zone_to_transfer
        -f db_file
        -s serial_no
        [-d debug_level]
        [-l debug_log_file]
        [-t trace_file]
        [-p port]
        [-S]
        [-C class]
        servers...

In my case I would use:

named-xfer -z latrade.com -f db.latrade.bak -s 0 shark

latrade.com is the domain I would be transfering. db.latrade.bak is
what I call the file on the secondary server. I use a serial number of
0 to ensure that I get the file regardless of the serial number. And
finally shark is the name of my primary server.

Good Luck,

-cliff